We have written this agreement so that it is clear and easy to read. You should read it carefully as it forms the basis of our contract. We have hidden nothing. Some things are legally necessary. The rest are standard issues you get in the campervan hire world.
This is correct as of 10th December 2015 and may change without prior notice. The legally binding agreement is the one you will be asked to sign at the time of pickup.
In this document ‘You’ and ‘your’ means ‘The Hirer’, that is you, the customer. ‘Us’, ‘we’ and ‘ours’ means ‘Cotswold Campervans Ltd’ who is also ‘The Company’ and the ‘Owner’.
The ‘Van’ or ‘The Vehicle’ means the campervan or vehicle that you are hiring.
1. Within the Price
The following are provided within the rental price:
- Comprehensive insurance for the first driver (min 25 years old)
- Mileage cap 750 miles for a week hire or 500 miles for midweek or weekend hire. You can go further, but you will have to pay an additional 20p per mile.
- Our vans are all in tip top condition and should not break down, but if they do we have included EU breakdown cover within the rental
- Full tank of fuel (vehicle is to be returned full, if not we have the right to charge you at quarter tank increments)
- A 240v Mains Hook Up lead for when you are on site
- Levelling chocks
- All cooking equipment, crockery and cutlery (see the inventory for a complete list)
- Full tank of LPG (vehicle is to be returned full, if not we have the right to charge you at quarter tank increments)
We have a fleet hire policy. A copy of the cover note is in the info pack that you are given when you collect the campervan. We have a standard excess of £500.
If you damage either the vehicle or third party property, you will be liable for the excess. You will also be fully liable for replacement or repair of windscreen or tyre damage.
Drivers are to be a minimum of 25 years old and hold a full standard British Driving Licence, which has been held for at least two years.
Our vehicle will not be let out on hire to or be driven by persons who have been convicted of an offence in connection with the driving of a motor vehicle or motorcycle and/or have had their driving licence endorsed or suspended or penalty point imposed.
Parking and not more than two speeding offences in the past 3yrs may be ignored.
The Insurance cover we arrange is Fully Comprehensive.
3. Security Deposit
We take a Security Deposit of £500. This is to be paid electronically before collecting the Campervan, or in cash on the day your rental begins.
The deposit will be held during the hire period, and refunded within 5 working days of the vehicle being returned. If there is any damage to the van including loss of any equipment, tyre damage, low fuel, etc. we reserve the right to use the security deposit as funding towards amending this. The remainder of the deposit will be returned to you. If damage exceeds the Security Deposit you (the Hirer) will be responsible for settling additional costs.
We will also charge for any vehicles that are returned late. If vehicles are returned past the date and specified time, you render yourself liable to a charge of £25 per hour.
4. Renter’s Responsibilities
Age limits: 25 to 75 years.
Drivers must provide 2 separate forms of identification (passport and a credit card/recent utility bill). The address on all forms of identification must be consistent otherwise we shall refuse the vehicle.
You must also bring both sections of your valid standard British Driving Licence (held for at least two years).
If you would like an additional driver, you must inform us and pay for this in advance. If agreed then similar identification will need to be produced for any additional drivers.
Drivers are personally liable for any ‘naughty’ driving such as legal penalties (e.g. speeding, parking fines, driving in bus lanes etc.), which are incurred during the period of hire. If this has required time and expenses by us, then we reserve the right to charge you a reasonable fee for this.
You must look after the vehicle and keys. You must always lock the vehicle when you are not using it and you will incur a charge for lost keys. You are responsible for any damage to the roof caused by hitting low objects, such as bridge or branches.
You are liable for damage, theft and parking violations during the rental period. Damage to the vehicle includes windscreen, glass and tyre damage.
Our insurance policy excludes cash hire. The hirer must pay us by electronic means (to protect us).
A reservation is only binding once we confirm the booking via email and a non-returnable deposit of £150 has been received. The remaining balance will be due 8 weeks before the first day of hire.
Deposit is payable electronically, final payment is also payable electronically (this is an insurance requirement).
For late bookings (less than 4 weeks before the first day of hire) the full rental price is payable on booking. Vehicles will not be released without full payment being completed.
6. Cancellation Charges
More than 8 weeks before the day of Collection: £150 deposit. Less than 8 weeks before the day of Collection: 100% of total hire charge.
7. Collection & Return
Time slots available from 1300hrs to 1500hrs (it will take approx. 60 mins for handover)
The van must be returned on the date and time arranged at the collection or on the booking confirmation document (default this time is 1100hrs). It may be possible to arrange later times (allow approx. 40mins for a return).
The vehicle must be returned clean and in working order and with a full tank of Fuel & LPG.
The Van must have a personal handover between both us and you.
Cleaning the Vehicle:
We take pride in the cleanliness of our vehicle and expect it to be returned in the same condition as when it was collected.
You are expected to have cleaned the vehicle, wiped all surfaces, cleaned the oven/grill, swept the van and removed all rubbish. A £30 cleaning charge will be made (for the interior) and £30 for the exterior if we believe the vehicle has not been cleaned. This will be taken from your deposit.
The vehicle must not be put through a carwash.
If you wish to return the vehicle to us dirty, both inside and out, don’t worry that’s no problem, just book a cleaning in advance and pay £50 for us to clean the van. To take up this option just notify us at least 48hrs before the Return, so that we leave enough time to clean it before it goes to the next customer.
Early or Late return:
We are not obligated to refund you any money or provide another vehicle if your holiday is cut short.
We will not refund any money, if you voluntarily bring the vehicle back before the agreed “Return Date and Time”. If you want to return it early you MUST contact us to arrange the handover.
If you are running late we must be advised immediately. An additional charge of £25 per hour is payable for all late returns (we don’t want your money, we want the people hiring it next to be able to get on with their holiday).
8. Personal Travel Insurance
It is the hirer’s responsibility to provide their own insurance to cover personal items and belongings and personal injury in the event of an accident.
Pets are not allowed in the vehicle.
Smoking is not allowed in the vehicle.
11. Breakdown Cover
Please contact us for instructions.
Our vans are in the very best condition with low mileage. However they could of course break down, if this happens contact us for instructions. In the event that you cannot get hold of us, there is an instruction sheet in the info pack explaining how to proceed.
We will do all we can so that you can enjoy the rest of your holiday, but under these terms and conditions we are not obligated to provide you with another vehicle to continue your holiday or to refund you.
If the campervan cannot be repaired at the roadside and needs to be towed to a garage, then this must be to our local repairer in Cheltenham. Please contact us for details of this without delay, should this be required.
If you arrange for the van to be relayed to any other location, you will be responsible for the costs of then delivering the van back to our depot.
12. Accidents or Theft
Please contact us for instructions. As the policy holder it is us that should contact our insurer.
In the event that you cannot get hold of us, there is an instruction sheet in the info pack explaining how to proceed.
Responsibility if an accident occurs:
In the horrible event of any accident or loss or damage while you are using the vehicle, you must notify us immediately. There is an instruction sheet on what to do in the info pack. You have certain duties when any event takes place, which is likely to give rise to a claim. You must, according to the circumstances:
- Notify the police as soon as you are aware if any property is lost, stolen or maliciously damaged and get a crime reference number
- Obtain the names and addresses of third parties and any witnesses and report the event to the police
- Take photos where possible and gather as much information to support any claim that you can (road names, diagrams, witness to the accident details)
- Get the names and addresses of everyone involved, including witnesses
- Report the incident to us and the insurer as soon as reasonably possible and provide all information and assistance we may need
- Take all reasonable steps to mitigate the loss or damage and to recover any lost or stolen property and advise us without unnecessary delay if such property is returned to you
You undertake to assist Us in handling any claim arising from any event, including providing all relevant information and if necessary attending Court to give evidence.
13. Rental and Other Charges
You will pay us the following:
- All rental charges
- A security deposit
- A cleaning fee of £30 if the Vehicle is not returned with the interior in a clean condition.
- A cleaning fee of £30 if the outside of the vehicle is not cleaned upon return
- The cost of any damage to the Vehicle or the property of any third party, subject to the insurance cover
- All parking fines, other fines or penalties, and/or accidents including third party property damage not reported on return of the Vehicle; and associated administration costs incurred in relation to the Vehicle during the Rental Period.
- Any other fees or charges payable by you pursuant to this Agreement. This includes but is not limited to:
- Any costs incurred by us as a result of any breach by you of the terms of this Agreement.
- For the period the Vehicle is off fleet due to an accident, a rental rate of £100 per day will be charged. In the event that the Vehicle is off fleet due to an accident where the Hirer is not at fault, this daily charge will be liable by the ‘at fault’ third party driver. If the accident is your fault, you will be liable for this charge.
- The cost of recovering a Vehicle that has become bogged (stuck)
- City supplements and toll fees
14. Use of the Van – The Don’t’s:
The van must not be:
- Driven in any way other than a cautious, prudent and normal manner
- Used in a manner that could cause damage
- Driven in a prohibited area
- Driven under the influence of alcohol or drugs or with a blood alcohol level in excess of that permitted by law
- Left with the ignition key in the vehicle while it is unoccupied
- Driven by persons under the age of 25 years
- Driven by persons or who are not authorised by law to drive the Vehicle or named in the agreement
- Damaged by submersion in water
- Put in contact with salt water
- Used for any illegal purpose for any race, rally or contest
- Used to tow any vehicle or trailer
- Used to carry passengers or property for hire or reward
- Used to carry more persons than is permitted by any relevant authority or detailed in the Vehicle manual or on the Vehicle or specified in this agreement
- Used to carry volatile liquids, gases (other than the gas supplied by us), explosives or other corrosive or inflammable material
You must not:
- Carry more passengers than the seating capacity
- Make any alterations or additions to the Vehicle
- Drive the van on any other than bitumen roads (Except for access when on a bona fide campsite of course)
- Smoke in the Van
- Have pets in the Van
The Hirer shall take all reasonable steps to properly maintain the Vehicle, including daily checks on oil, water levels, tyre pressures and batteries.
16. Termination of this Agreement:
By signing this agreement you acknowledge that if :
- You are in breach of any term of this Agreement,
- You have obtained the van through fraud or misrepresentation,
- The van appears to be abandoned,
- The van is not returned on the agreed return date
- We reasonably believe that the van will not be returned on the agreed return date
- We consider on reasonable grounds, that the safety of passengers or the condition of the Vehicle is endangered
Then we may terminate this Agreement and repossess the Vehicle at any time without notification to you. If this becomes necessary then you will have to pay the reasonable costs and charges of repossessing the Vehicle (This would including any towing charges). In the event of such termination or repossession, you have no right to a refund of any part of the rental charges or the Security Deposit.
17. Changing the Van:
We reserve the right, at our absolute discretion, to substitute a comparable or similar Van for the van you have reserved.
18. Indemnity and release of us:
We have an obligation to deliver the Vehicle or an appropriate substitute vehicle, but subject to this, you release us and our employees and agents from any liability to you (regardless of who is at fault) for any loss or damage incurred by you by reason of this Agreement, including (but not limited to) any loss or damage caused by breakdown, mechanical defect, accident or the Vehicle being unsuitable for your purpose, any loss or damage to any property left in or on the Vehicle, in any service vehicle or on any of our premises or recovered or handled by Us. Subject to any insurance arrangements agreed with Us, you hereby indemnify and shall keep us indemnified (including our employees and agents) against any claims, demands and expenses (including legal costs) incurred or sustained by them or any of them by reason of your use and/or possession of the Vehicle.
19. Title to the Van:
You acknowledge that We retain the title to the van and that you possess the goods as a mere bailee only and do not have any right to pledge our credit in connection with the van and you agree not to do so and shall not agree, attempt, offer or purport to sell, assign, sublet, lend, pledge, mortgage, let on hire, or otherwise part with or attempt to part with the personal possession of or otherwise deal with the van.
Any changes to this agreement must be in writing and must be signed on behalf of us and by you.
We reserve the right at any time, at our sole discretion, to restrict vehicle movements in certain areas. This may be due to adverse road or weather conditions or any other reasonable reason.
This agreement shall be governed by English Law.
This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement of the parties and there are no other oral undertakings, warranties or agreements between the parties relating to the subject matter of this agreement. We reserve the right to add or amend any rental charges without prior notice.